Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mexican Birthday Dinner in Korea???


I'm super lucky to have an awesome co-teacher. (A co-teacher is a local English teacher at the school who serves as your liason to your school. He/She basically is the one who can make your year wonderful or miserable.) I super lucked out with my co-teacher. She's been helping me take care of my apartment, showing me how to take the bus, and basically, setting up my ID and accounts for me. She's SO sweet.

She noticed on my application that my birthday was Friday, so she wanted to take me out to dinner. Earlier in the week, we had talked about checking out Itaewon together (Itaewon is basically the foreigners district of Seoul. It's like you're not even in Korea anymore cuz it's so different and everyone speaks almost perfect English there) Neither of us had ever been, so on Friday, she asked me if I wanted to go. Of course, I say yes, and she tells me to pick a place online.

When I asked her what kind of food she wants to eat, though, she says she's never had Mexican before and really wanted to have Mexican. Uh-oh! Korea is known for having expensive but terrible Mexican food! She really wanted to try it though, so I found a Mexican place in Itaewon. A taco, enchilada, and this tiny burrito ended up costing $30, and it was terrible! It was like going to a fancy-looking Taco Bell.

But my co-teacher was cute; she was so interested in Mexican food, that it just made the dinner wonderful. So I ended up having Mexican for my birthday dinner this year all the way in Korea, and while the food was awful, it turned out to be such a fun night with my co-teacher ~^__^~

No comments:

Post a Comment