Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Life without an Identity Sucks :(

I finally understand the trouble international students at SC (and elsewhere) must go through to get a US social security number, to set up US accounts, etc., and I have to say, props to them. I never realized how much hassle it was until now.

So in Korea, if you're a foreigner, everything revolves around an Alien Registration Card (ARC). You need it to open Korean bank accounts, to set up internet, to register for a phone, etc. It takes about two weeks for them to process your paperwork and give you an ARC, so until that time, you basically can't do anything important.

I applied for an ARC as soon as I had the chance, but I'm still waiting for it. Until I get it, I can't get the money that my school owes me, and I can't get a cell phone number even though I got a cell phone from a friend last week. Luckily, my co-teacher was nice enough to set up internet under her ID, so I'm not completely stuck in the dark ages. But currently, my Korean cell phone is just sitting on my nightstand mocking me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment