Thursday, October 22, 2009

Going to Hair Salons

Hair salons here are so much nicer and cheaper than in the US. Even if you go to a normal salon chain, the indoor decorations are lovely. The moment you step in, you're ushered onto nice, plush couches and greeted with biscuits and a choice of coffee or tea.

Also, the hairdressers are all super skilled. Apparently, they have to first apprentice for a year or so, during which they can only wash and blow dry hair, before they can even their own scissors. That shows dedication! My hairdresser was lightning fast and super pro. It was cool cuz at one point, I had the apprentice blow-drying my hair on one side and the hairdresser speeding away on the other.

You'd think with that kind of service and niceness, it'd cost an arm and a leg, but actually, my haircut turned out to only be 12,000 won ($10). Thank you co-teacher for referral! (If you go with a regular, you automatically get 30% off).

A word of caution though: if you don't want a fobby Korean or Japanese haircut, make sure you bring your own picture. It took 30 minutes and my Korean co-teacher's constant translations for me to get the style I wanted without a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment